-dreams-

I am ready to leave. To leave this small town behind me, to finally feel the rush of a big city. The only thing I am not ready for is to leave my little sister behind. We are like peanutbutter and jelly, like milk and cookies. For as long as I can remember we have been inseperable. She has been my best friend since she was born and I was three. Always,”Bailey and Eva”, or “Bai and E”. I am terrified to be away from her. What if I come back and she suddenly forgets about me. I can’t have that happen.

She moped into my room one day. “Why do you have to leave. Why does it have to be New York of all places, you picked the farthest one from home.”

“Eva you will understand why I did it. It is the only place with a great college from writing. The college I got into only lets 3% of the people who apply into it.”

She looked at me happy but with tears welling up, “But Bai, there are so many great colleges in Geogia, I understand it was a really hard school to get into but I will miss you. I need you here.”, she was now sobbing uncontrollably. I just hugged her and squeezed her. I started to cry because I don’t want to leave but it is my dream to become a great writer and that school will pave the way. We were hugging for at least half an hour in the middle of my very empty bare room. It was now silent, only us sniffiling our noses.

“I will miss you. If it were up to me I would move the whole school right into our small town. But it’s not up to me. I have to go to this school.”

“Bailey, I understand you can’t choose where the school is, but you can control what school you go to. Besides I always thought we were gonna run our own bakery. You know, Baiva’s. That was our plan since I was in fifth grade. It was our dream.”, she says to me practically begging.

“Eva, that was four years ago. I was a completely differnt person and so were you. My dreams have shifted, I will always love baking with you but I want to be a famous writer. I want to be remembered for writing. But you should open the bakery, you can even sell my book when I publish one.”

“It won’t be the same without you. It has to be with you or it won’t be the same.”

I am baffeled she is trying to guilt trip me into this. “E, just because my dreams are differnt don’t mean they are unimportant.”, I said this in my sincer but stern, almost motherly voice, “I can’t stay here anymore, I need to break away from this small town. I need to be my own person. Don’t get me wrong I really truly do love you.”

“I understand, I just want yo to stay. I will really miss you.”, she said with tears streaming down her face.

“I know E, I know.”

Later that night we drove to the Airport and I left. I could hear her crying when I was boarding the plane and felt a single tear stream down my face. “I love you Eva Marie Thompson, and I always will.” I whispered as more tears came. When I landed in NYC I felt relieved. Almost like it was exactly where I was supposed to be.

print

6 thoughts on “-dreams-

1. Dear Camdyn,

Love the themes in this and the simple yet melancholic way you executed this piece. Just two characters discussing the future/loss and the development which comes from it. And I live for those moments in writing.

Not much feedback, except a few misspelled words which can be a little jarring when reading. Other than that keep doing what your doing!

– Reegan =)

1. Reegan,

I am so happy my writing appealed to you. And the simplicity was just enough! GUMPS are my worst nightmare! Thank you for letting me know, about my spelling mistakes!
      Thank you for commenting on my blog.

Much love, Cammie<3

2. Dear Camdyn,

Awesome job with this piece! The smartest decision you made in this piece was to have the characters’ relationship be established very early on, and then the conflict that tests them. This sets us up for the rest of the writing which was really good as well. I feel like this harbours some sort of deep personal connection to you, because all of us are afraid of losing something we love. This really also read like a personal response creative piece, so I think that you could actually use something like this to answer an essay question! (just a suggestion)
    I do have to agree that grammar and misspellings were a bit frequent in the writing, but a quick proofread should fix all of that.
    Nicely done, Camdyn. This was an emotion piece that I enjoyed reading, and I will be back for more.

Sincerely,

Zaid

1. Zaid,

Thank you for stopping by. I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for the tip of the essay question, never thought of that. Have a good semester two!

Much love, Cammie <3

3. Dear Cammie,

This piece hit home a little because my brother and I are extremely close, and when he left for University back in 2014, I was only 11 and I, to be completely honest, never felt purely happy after that, until of course, he came to visit or come back permanently.
    As for advice, just read your work after, and you’ll fix them. Also, remember to include a period or comma inside the quotation mark(s).
    Overall, I deeply admired this piece, and I look forward to reading future works on this blog!
    Sincerely,

Unas

1. Unas,

Thank you for reading my post! I am happy you enjoyed and related to this piece. Have a great semester two. I am glad I got to read and experiance your writing this semester.

Much love, Cammie <3